THE DOLLY SISTERS are two hand-embroidered French Victorian eyelet lace sleeves from 1890. The sleeves were not attached to a blouse and were worn on their own by buttoning the top of the sleeve at the elbow. The frilly part at the end of the sleeve would peak out under the jacket. Today, these types of detached lace sleeves are very rare to find. They were given to the artist as a gift from a Parisian friend whose grandmother collected lace. The sleeves are dipped in 24k gold.
The sleeves are signed by the artist (Monika K) and numbered (1 of 2; 2 of 2)
Exhibited at Charles Bank Gallery, 196 Bowery, New York, September 15-18, 2011